Piggy pedagogy

Piggy pedagogy

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Media today 116

Bruno Blume, Der gestiefelte Kater. Nach Ludwig Tieck, 23-35.

Listening: Dimiter Inkiow, Griechische Sagen I, 0-16:00; Ich weiß was, Albert E. erklärt die Werbung, 0-9:30. 



The Greek myths are wonderfully written and spoken. One detail bothers me. Here the clay Prometheus forms into human beings is white, black and yellow, for each of the "races": the white people go to Europe, the black to Africa, the yellow to Asia. I am familiar with this motif from some native American myths, but it doesn't seem to feature in any authentic Greek account

I have no idea why Inkiow imported it. It's just a passing reference and plays no role in any later episode, but that gratuitousness is just the issue. My son didn't ask about it this time, but it's just the kind of detail he normally picks up on and asks about. I certainly have no problem with explaining problematic things people used to believe, I would just prefer those things to have some sort of historical basis.

Total audio 2015: 25.09
Total video 2015: 46.15
Age 5.6.16

No comments:

Post a Comment