Piggy pedagogy

Piggy pedagogy

Friday, June 12, 2015

L2 talking Minecraft

Recently Jamie has started playing Minecraft himself, and has become quite addicted to it. We limit his gameplay of course, but on the whole I think it is a very engaging, mentally challenging, and creative activity, as are many video games. He's already built an amazing little gameworld and loves to show us around it. 

Which is where L2 comes in. If I just sit down next to him as he plays and ask him what is going on, he will talk and talk. It's a kind of storytelling in which he is the main character.




His experience watching German Minecraft videos for four months has given him an extensive vocabulary, and his language of physical and locative description is getting very smooth and idiomatic. 


This morning I had my language notebooks with me and, in my questions and comments, wove in a number of specific words and expressions I wanted to work on. 


Also, it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment