Piggy pedagogy

Piggy pedagogy

Monday, December 15, 2014

Error correction 1

Yesterday J corrected my German grammar. I said "Gehen wir in den Zimmer." J said "Papa, du hast 'in den Zimmer' gesagt. Du solltest sagen 'in das Zimmer."  

He has occasionally corrected a gender assignment in the past, or pointed out if I absent-mindedly use a wrong word. But yesterday was the first real, full-fledged grammar error correction, I believe.

I told him by golly he was right, praised him, and told him that one day his German is going to be better than mine. Then I encouraged him to tell some animals and also his mother. 

My correction strategy is underwritten by the philosophy that I am not a language Authority, but rather a mediator and enabler of the language. I assign all my linguistic-authoritarian impulses to various puppets. most notably to Thusnelda, who is a resolute prescriptivist. But then I also undermine such impulses with other views, represented most notably by Friedel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment