Piggy pedagogy

Piggy pedagogy

Saturday, August 13, 2016

L3

So in a couple weeks (when the books below come in), I'm going to start something I've been planning for years: Teaching J Spanish. My own Spanish, though quite rusty, is pretty good, somewhere in the intermediate range. 

Actually, after our Paris trip, J wanted to learn French (which Gustav speaks). Since both my wife and I speak French (also quite rustily but it's there), that would have worked. My wife bought some French children's books and has read them with him.

All else being equal, I would prefer French myself, since I know the language and country better than with Spanish. But all else is not equal: J has several classmates from Latin American families. There are many opportunities to speak and hear Spanish right here in Georgia. Latin America is closer to us than Europe for vacation purposes. Spanish will be much more useful to J growing up in the US. 

As far as the motivation Gustav would have provided to J with French, that's an easy one with my method: It turns out that Gustav wants to learn Spanish too, and how to cook Latin American food! 

So as not to have any switching to English, I'm going to purchase all my Spanish learning resources from Germany. I've started with these books: 




This will also help J's reading in German. 

No comments:

Post a Comment