Piggy pedagogy

Piggy pedagogy

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Idiom of the day 1

With "reading words of the week" and "vocabulary walks" working so well, I'll now try daily introducing a particular idiom into conversation. 

jemandem etwas anvertrauen, "to confide something to somebody."

This morning on our way to school I said to J: "Darf ich dir etwas anvertrauen?", then proceeded to tell him about my special relationship with my best friend Peter and Peter's son Gabriel, my godson, who visited this past weekend. This is not new information for J, nor is it exactly the kind of thing one needs to say "in confidence," so the idiom usage was a little oblique. But close enough. This evening I'm going to work something like the following into our chat.

"Weißt du, du kannst mir alles anvertrauen. Wenn es je etwas gibt, worüber du reden willst, was aber vielleicht peinlich oder schmerzlich ist, das kannst du mir und der Mama immer anvertrauen, und wir besprechen die Sache und helfen dir dabei. Verstehst du?"

See the update on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment