Piggy pedagogy

Piggy pedagogy

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Literary-critical Sunday school, part 12

Reading: The Beginner's Bible, 194-221 (King Solomon, Building of the Temple, Elija and Ahab, Elisha).

Listening: Margot Käßmann, Die Bibel für Kinder, part 1, 50:00 - 58:00; Arnulf Zitelmann, Die Weltreligionen, 15:00 - 24:00.

We hadn't covered Solomon before. The wisdom theme dovetails nicely with our discussion of Athena earlier in the week. J was also fascinated with the "bad" king Ahab and his worship of Baal. But he objected to Elijah making fun of Baal: 



"Gods don't go on vacation!", was his response. In our discussions of the old testament, I try to negotiate the monotheistic perspective on false gods with a modern basic liberal attitude about religious freedom and acceptance of religious difference. As I was blathering on to this effect this morning, J interrupted and said: "I don't like to talk about that. I just like to talk about what the gods do." Seems about right to me. 

As I was explaining to J that ancient Chinese religions also had a lot of gods, he told me he already knew that already from Kung Fu Panda, specifically from the episode where Master Shifu is trying to "find inner peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment